"to love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage." lao-tzu

4.12.2012

My Ancestors

Okay, so here I am again. Tonite I am going to give a quick rundown on my family, listing the surnames I am aware of; I have not researched some of these yet.


My paternal family is the Jahns. These are Illinois Jahns, not to be confused with the multitude in Texas, Wisconsin, Missouri - I am fortunate that mine behaved and tended to stay within the state or at the least close by. Into my Jahns married the following: (oldest to newest) Bierbaum, Krauck, Reynolds, Burnier, and then a Nevala, which is my maternal family. Bierbaum and Krauck I have not discovered the mothers' names. Reynolds mother was a Gray, Grays mother was a Potteroff; I have seen Potteroff's ancestry, I have as yet to actually write it down somewhere or download it. Grays paternal Grandmother was a Pettingill. Going back further there is a Burnam and then a Best. Burniers mother was a Meillott, Meillotts mother was a Berthoulier. Burniers paternal Grandmother was a Odell. I think that is it on my paternal side.



Now we have some fun - my maternal side. My mothers maiden name is Nevala, which is Finnish, and the names just get more fun as we go back. We have the following on my mothers paternal side: Abramson, Ruitta, and Heikkila. I actually am lucky in that a cousin of my mother had years ago researched the family and has the tree back to the 1500's; I have just chosen to stop with my great-great grandparents on this side. Now, on my mothers maternal side I have Applegates (and just wait till I write THAT blog!), Schmidt, Hoffherr, then I have Engle, Pease, Waite, Gant, Sipes, Tilton, Irons, and a Lenni Lenape Indian named Mary, who was married to the first Applegate in my line that I have record of, Bartholomew. This would have been in New Jersey in the early 1700's - more on them later.



So there you have it - my All-American melting pot. I have original New World settlers on both sides, the mandatory German immigrant of the 1860's, and some late-comers (1890's) - that would be my French ancestors. I have lots of info on some, a few tidbits here and there on others, and absolutely nothing to speak of on the rest except names. I will say that I have enjoyed the hunt (with the exception of my stubborn, refuse to be counted on the census recent Applegates), and am looking forward to discovering much, much more.



Next post I will begin with my great-great-great grandfather, Jacob Jahns, born about 1816 in Hanover, Germany and died sometime in the 1890's, I think. Not sure, its on my to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment